Peoria Park District COVID Mitigation Impacts
Effective November 20, 2020
As the number of COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations rise in the Peoria area, the Governor of Illinois has set forth new mitigation efforts that go into effect at 12:01am on Friday, November 20. The Peoria Park District will remain diligent in ensuring our programming and facilities follow state public health requirements and urges our patrons to practice social distancing, wear a mask as required within the Governor’s orders, and practice good hand hygiene. Following are the impacts of the new guidelines as we know them:
Generally, all essential functions of the Peoria Park District will continue. Executive staff will provide additional direction before Friday regarding remote work and Work Smart. Work Safe. assignments. All employees must wear face coverings while working outside of their individual work space and in that space when physical distancing is not possible.
- Parks and Trails: Will remain open to the public. Maximum group size of 10, face coverings required for group recreation activities.
- Camp Wokanda: Indoor rentals in cabins and lodges are suspended. Outdoor tent camping for families with group sizes of less than 10 will be offered for now. Refunds will be issued in 2 week increments during the term of the mitigation requirements.
- Forest Park Nature Center: All trails remain open; the retail shop is open at 25% capacity. Field trips with a group size larger than 10 will be cancelled. Program/Events TBD. More details to come.
- Holiday Shop & Stroll – Cancelled
- Lakeview Recreation Center: Closed to the public. Will continue to host YMCA e-learning support programming; dance classes held at the facility will be led virtually.
- Logan Recreation Center: Continue Moonlight Coalition for Adult Learning classes with maximum of 10 students and teachers per group. Staff is using Zoom to keep classes going and limit in person contacts.
- Noble Center for Park Administration: Closed to the public. Staff will answer phones to support the public from 9am to 1pm on weekdays.
- Owens Recreation Center: Closed to the public. Usage will be limited to individual skating lessons.
- Peoria Park District Golf: Advance reservations required (at ppdgolf.org or by phone). Golf Learning Center indoor hitting area closed; GLC retail shop limited to 25% capacity.
- Peoria PlayHouse Children’s Museum: Remains closed. The PlayHouse continues to offer virtual programs and maker kits for children and families. These include PlayDates for young children, Real Tools workshops for children ages 3-12, PlayHouse Everywhere Member Workshops (including wreath making on November 21!), and KidTastic kits for kids. To learn more, please visit PeoriaPlayHouse.org.
- Peoria Zoo: For contact tracing purposes, advanced online tickets are required and can be purchased at PeoriaZoo.org. Members do NOT have to purchase tickets in advance but need to have their membership card and photo ID at the front desk. Capacity will be limited to 25% within the Zoo and in the Safari Gift Shop. Maximum group size is 10. Face coverings are required at all times.
- Proctor Recreation Center: DREAM2 after-school program will continue with maximum of 10 students in a learning group; the facility will keep the weight room open with limited hours (max of 4 users at any time in the weight room with face coverings at all times). Staff is working to evaluate the opportunities for virtual programming; all other programming and rentals suspended. The building will be closed the week of November 23, reopen Monday, November 30.
- RiverPlex Recreation and Wellness Center: Member use only. 25% maximum capacity. Usage limited to individual training, cardio/exercise, and lap swimming (lessons will be postponed). Face coverings required everywhere but pool. Lap swimming will continue to require advance registration. Due to AquaPlex access needs, RiverPlex Locker rooms will be limited to a 10 person capacity. Please visit RiverPlex.org for up to date information about virtual exercise options and other member supports. No recreation rentals.
Updated November 19, 2020
Check out a map of our parks & trails!
Golf -Schedule your Tee Time!
The PPD Golf Courses are open and memberships are currently 10% off! Members can schedule their tee times online.
Peoria Zoo -Take a Walk on the Wild Side
The Peoria Zoo is open and excited for members and guests to visit. Tickets must be purchased online for non-members. Masks are required throughout your journey through Asia, Australia and Africa! Learn more and purchase your tickets at peoriazoo.org